Thursday, January 8, 2009

Justice A Cross The Universe


Justice wiki
Date Released: November 24, 2008
Label: Ed Banger
Disc 2: Audio CD:
1. Intro
2. Genesis
3. Phantom Part 1
4. Phantom Part 1.5
5. D.A.N.C.E.
6. D.A.N.C.E. Part 2
7. DVNO
8. Waters Of Nazareth
9. One Minute To Midnight
10. Tthhee Ppaarrttyy
11. Let There Be Lite
12. Stress
13. We Are Your Friends (Reprises)

14. Waters Of Nazareth
15. Phantom Part 2
16. Encore
17. NY Excuse (Soulwax/Justice Remix)
18. Final
Disc 1: DVD - A Documentary by Justice, Romain Gavras & So-Me

I bought this last year when I was in Melbourne and have only listened to it today in my car for the first time and HOLY CRAP it is awesome!!! They have fleshed out the beats and kept in the crowd noise. Normaly I am not a fan of live CD's, the production etc always falls well short of what the original concert must have been like, they always sound kind of flat to me HOWEVER, this recording with the deafening crowd roaring through every track makes sense in a kind of strange way. The crowd noise adds to the excitement that Justice obviously generates from this set. It is all the songs from their awesome debut, however they have reworked and tweaked them, I love the extra elements they bring to each track, making them recognisable yet different, almost completely new tracks mashed and trashed up all sexy and sweaty for you. Stress for instance takes its orchestral slant from a cool remix by Auto from around September last year. There are healthy nods to Simian Mobile Disco, The Klaxons as well as Metallica with of course Michael Jackson's throbbing basslines twisted and warped as only Justice can do.
The We Are Your Friends breakdown and crowd participation must have been unbelievable being there, just listening to it in my car with the volume cranked up gave me goose pimples, it must have been MENTAL live!! When it moves into the metal like chunky bass heavy beats with metallica chop guitars (I think the sample is metallica) the crowd goes insane!
I am still to watch the documentary, it has been a busy beginning to the year, forgive me, I may do so tomorrow evening, after Eli Stone..... I am Dj'ing tonight so I can't watch it then. It is more of a backstage and on road tour happenings and doings type doccy than a concert one, which is cool but also a pity as I would LOVE to see the visuals of this concert. I watched Daft Punks Interstellar 5555 the other evening which was also amazing!!
Phantom 1.5 takes the parts 1 and 2 to a whole new dimension, sampling part of the Phantom 1's beat and looping it, these French guys with their sequencers, samplers, filters etc REALLY know how to whip a crowd into an orgiastic frenzied delight!! Their dark yet accessable beats and rock type approach to their music and live shows is truly remarkable and I am sure they will be around for a LONG LONG time.

Buy it from Amazon here NOW, you will NOT be sorry

No comments: